The holiday farmhouse is located at Pieve San Paolo Apecchio (PU), a medieval village inland of Pesaro. The property was converted from an old parish church to which the church devoted to St. Paul is annexed. The whole building is located on top of a hill (798 a.s.l.) from which you can admire a beautiful landscape from all sides: Monte Carpegna, Monte Nerone, Monte Catria and Monte Acuto, the hills towards Urbino and the range of Umbria-Marche hills. Organic wheat fields are in the immediate vicinity. The holiday farmhouse is about 4 kilometres from the centre of Apecchio which can be reached by means of two well-maintained roads.
The structure was restored by applying the most careful techniques in order to preserve its original architectural style. Few changes were made and these mainly concerned the safety and habitability measures required by law. At the same time we tried to remove all architectural barriers in order to facilitate its use for everybody.
The first recorded information of St. Paul dates back to 1230 when a list of churches belonging to the Diocese of Città di Castello was drawn up. The list includes San Paolo di Faville (Bishop’s Archives, Vol. I, c 120, Churches subject to the Parish of Apecchio. Other later documents (1277) refer to a visit by the High Ranking Guglielmo del Capitolo di Città di Castello to the church of San Paolo di Faville. Still in 1277, a list of all the churches and minor churches subject to the Bishop of Città di Castello was compiled. Included in the Pieve di Apecchio, along with other 35 churches, there is the entry of St. Paolo di Faville. The name of St. Paolo di Faville derives from the particular position where the building is located in respect of Montalto, the highest point of the hill, rising less than two kilometres from San Paolo. The oldest documents available are dated around 1380 and indicate Montalto as a tower from which fire signals for communication between Apecchio and Citta di Castello were made. When burning the wood, the "faville (sparks)" were scattered around the area filling the air with small sparks. The word "faville" has suffered some form of dialect corruption until it became today’s "fagnille" even in official documents. In fact, in the documents reported by Berliocchi (Apecchio, quando c'erano le torri (when there were towers), page 152) and dated 1686, we notice that the name is registered in the form "Fagnille". These writings show that San Paolo di Fagnille passed from the property of the Counts of Montevicino to that of the Counts of Apecchio.
Azienda Agricola Forestale Pieve San Paolo P.IVA 02441160419 Our hotel on Booking